Pre-Season 2K Sports New York State High School All-Star Team To Be Honored at 2K Sports Classic Championship Game
2K Sports announced today the top 21 high school basketball players selected for the pre-season 2008 2K Sports New York State High School All-Star Team. Nominated by a panel of respected scouts and basketball writers, each of the players selected, along with their respective coaches, will be honored in a live presentation at halftime during the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer championship game at Madison Square Garden on November 21, 2008.
Lance Stephenson, a 6’ 5” shooting guard from Brooklyn’s Lincoln High School, headlines the pre-season 2K Sports New York State High School All-Star Team after leading his team to its unprecedented third-straight Public School Athletic League (P.S.A.L.) championship. Earning the nickname “Born Ready” for his stellar play at the famed Rucker Park, Stephenson has become one of the most talked about high school basketball recruits since LeBron James, current NBA superstar of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Stephenson also has an online documentary that closely follows his basketball life on and off the court available at www.bornready.tv.
Following in alphabetical order is the pre-season 2008 2K Sports New York State High School All-Star Team:
- O.D. Anosike, St. Peters HS (Staton Island, NY), Senior
- Taran Buie, Bishop Maginn HS (Albany, NY), Junior
- Jamel Fields, Albany Academy HS (Albany, NY), Junior
- Tobias Harris, Long Island Lutheran HS (Brookville, NY), Junior
- Jabari Hinds, Mount Vernon HS (Mount Vernon, NY), Sophomore
- Sean Johnson, Christ the King HS (Middle Village, NY), Senior
- Sidiki Johnson, St. Raymond HS (Bronx, NY), Sophomore
- Dane Miller, Rush Henrietta HS (Henrietta, NY), Senior
- James Padgett, Abraham Lincoln HS (Brooklyn, NY), Senior
- Jayvaughn Pinkston, Bishop Loughlin HS (Brooklyn, NY), Junior
- Will Regan, Buffalo Nichols HS (Buffalo, NY), Junior
- Lamount Samuell, Boys & Girls HS (Brooklyn, NY), Senior
- Durand Scott, Rice HS (New York, NY), Senior
- Russell Smith, Archbishop Molloy HS (Queens, NY), Senior
- Shane Southwell, Rice (New York, NY), Junior
- Keith Spellman, Thomas Jefferson HS (Brooklyn, NY), Senior
- Lance Stephenson, Abraham Lincoln HS (Brooklyn, NY), Senior
- Shaquille Stokes, Abraham Lincoln HS (Brooklyn, NY), Sophomore
- Brandon Triche, Jamesville de Witt HS (De Witt, NY), Senior
- Chaz Williams, Bishop Ford HS (Brooklyn, NY), Senior
- Sherrod Wright, Mount Vernon HS (Mount Vernon, NY), Senior
For the fourth consecutive year, 2K Sports will be the title sponsor for the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches v. Cancer, the nation’s premier pre-season college basketball tournament. Duke, UCLA, Michigan and Southern Illinois each won their regional tournaments and will now face-off in the championship rounds that will be held November 20 and 21 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
The Coaches vs. Cancer program, a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), exists to leverage the strength, community leadership and celebrity of our country’s basketball coaches to raise awareness and reduce cancer risk through education programs while raising funds for the American Cancer Society's fight against cancer. Since 1996, the event has raised more than $40 million for the benefit of Coaches vs. Cancer.
For more information on the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer, please visit the official tournament website at www.coachesvscancer.com